Monday, September 28, 2009

Pesto!

So this weekend I made pesto for Sunday dinner and it was delicious. The wonderful thing about pesto is that it's incredibly easy to make, but it's hard because since it's so easy I can't give an exact recipe! (at least, I've never used an exact recipe, but I'll try). This recipe is for a pest pasta. I don't think it is thick enough to spread on bread like I know a lot of people like to do.

Ingredients:
1 bag of pine nuts (it seems like all the bags you can buy in the baking section of the store are about the same size)
1 large clove of garlic
salt and pepper (to taste)
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese, shredded (1 cup-ish)
1 bunch cilantro (you know the size they sell the bunches in the store)
2 cups packed fresh basil

** this is for about 1 box of pasta, I prefer penne pasta, but I guess you can use whatever you want! Cook the pasta first. I won't give directions since I think everyone knows how.**

Okay, once you have the ingredients, this is so easy. What you need is a food processor. And then you pretty much just blend everything together! Start with the garlic and the pine nuts (if you have time, roast the pine nuts a little first, and start processing. Add the cilantro and basil, while adding a little bit of olive oil at a time. You'll end up adding about 1/2-1 cup olive oil. Once everything has been processed, mix it up with the pasta and add as much parmesan cheese as you'd like. You'll want to add some salt and pepper, but you might just want to let people add it themselves as they eat.

The wonderful thing about pesto is that it's so versatile. I like to make it with basil and cilantro the best, but some people make it with spinach, argula, etc . . . Warning: argula makes it quite bitter. Also, if you want it creamy, instead of olive oil, try some cream.

Sometimes I like to chop up some roma tomatoes to throw in the pasta, or grill some chicken.


Sorry if this "recipe" was confusing. Next time I'll try measuring while I cook so I can have a better idea what to tell you guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment