Sunday, March 28, 2010

Coconut Shrimp--Hawaiian :)

This is a recipe I found in a magazine at my friend's house. The first time I had the coconut shrimp was at Jackie Chan Restaurant in Hawaii. It was really good but quite expensive. I am glad I found this recipe because now I eat this dish whenever I feel like it!

The original recipe comes with a salsa dip for the coconut shrimp, which I did not end up making myself. But I will share it nonetheless :)



Serving: 2-4

Ingredients:
1. 12 jumbo shrimp (If you don't have jumbo shrimp, I just use large shrimp that I bought from Wal-Mart)
2. 2 cups Vegetable oil
3. 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten. (I used only one egg white for my 20 large shrimp)
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
5. 1/2 cup cornstarch
6. 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (I used more than one cup)

Instructions:
1. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on, and devein.(I bought shrimp that are already peeled and deveined)
2. Pour oil into a frying pan. Enough to cover the shrimp. Heat oil on medium high fire.
3. Combine egg whites and salt in a shallow bowl. Place cornstarch in a separate shallow dish.
4. Coat shrimp with cornstarch, shaking off the excess. Dip shrimp in egg white mixture and dredge in coconut.
5. Fry shrimp in 2 batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain.

To make salsa, you need to have
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup chile sauce with garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups finely diced pineapple
3/4 cup diced papaya
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup seeded cucumber
1/4 cup diced red onion

Stir together. Makes 7 cups.

0 comments:

Post a Comment